[ltp] looking for a $100-$150 printer supported by linux

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:55:23 +0000

Good point...and you're quite right - the printing support (Gimp print)
is excellent.

Make sure if you possibly can to get an Epson which takes the old type
of cartridges i.e. the ones without the inbuilt integrated circuit chip.
My Stylus Color 680 is cursed with these, and so I can't find cheap 3rd
party cartridges for it. The chips are useless anyway under linux - the
driver doesn't tell you how much ink is left.

Regards

Richard

P.S. When a printer gets jammed, and you then clear it by power cycling
the printer, is there any good way to kill the rest of the *current*
print job? I always find that the printer spews page after page of
printer codes, and the only fix is the brutal:

	Turn off printer.
	stop cups, lpd

	rm -r /var/spool/cups/*
	mkdir /var/spool/cups/tmp
	chmod 777 /var/spool/cups/tmp
	chown lp /var/spool/cups/tmp

	Restart lpd, cups
	Turn printer back on.

(recreating /var/spool/cups/tmp is important - cups won't restart otherwise)