[ltp] Mandrake 9 - Thinkpad 600e - Sound Howto

Pannaga Bhushan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:55:33 +0530

--------------2565BCFEAE06E98EFF8EDA9A

--------------D107DB9FD3A09CB24E468566

Hi there,
    I take it that ur thinkpad 600e has the ISA cs42xx sound card(which
sndconfig detects and explains that this is not supported). If yes, following
worked for me on RedHat 7.1.   I too tried for long to get my 600E to  croak.
If u r still game, lets go thro' the drill just once more.

I do not know if ALSA is the default sound package in Mandrake 9. If it is
not, download the latest alsa packages(drivers, lib and utils) from
www.alsa-project.org (verify with google).

install alsa-drivers, lib and utils.
during installation of alsa drivers, use               ./configure
--with-isapnp=yes --with-cards=cs4236

if yet ur alsa-drivers don't compile, thats bad. try mailing alsa mailing
lists with ur alsa driver version and ur gcc version that comes with mandrake
9.
dont forget to run ./snddevices  from the drivers directory.

modify ur /etc/modules.conf   ( my modules.conf is attached)

restart(preferably to init level 3.  level 5 login may try play some music and
cause probs. ) and give command
           modprobe snd-cs4236              . then lsmod should show u the
sound modules inserted into kernel.  If there are no sound modules inserted
and the modprobe returns with insmod errors, one possiblity could be that u
need to recompile ur kernel with modular support for sound

after verifying that the modules for sound are inserted use a mixer to set ur
volume and other settings ( i use aumix)

try play a wave file ( i do    play  /usr/share/sounds/......wav ).  Lets hope
that what u hear will make u smile  :-)

do write back with end result.

--Pannaga Bhushan

Kyle Hamar wrote:

> Yes, this has been asked a dozen times but the answers have not helped me
> (yet.)
>
> Q: How does a person get sound to work on a fresh install Mandrake 9
> Thinkpad 600e?
>
> Note: I found others with the exact same problem over in Also-Users
> (http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=9469838&list=12350 ) but no
> solution posted.
>
> A working solution appears to need the cs4232 or perhaps cs4236 drivers and
> a proper modules.conf such as the one posted at
> http://eca.cx/lau/2002/06/0119.html but these drivers do not appear to be
> present on my standard ML9 install. To make things worse, the latest ALSA
> drivers do not make cleanly under ML9.
>
> I could paste output from lspcidrake -v cat /etc/modules.conf /sbin/lsmod
> /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp aumix -q if requested.
>
> So I am stuck and without sound. Perhaps a guru here with recent experience
> can guide me out of the silence.
>
> Kyle
>
> --

--------------D107DB9FD3A09CB24E468566

Hi there,
cs42xx sound card(which sndconfig detects and explains that this is not
supported). If yes, following worked for me on RedHat 7.1.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I too tried for long to get my 600E to&nbsp; croak. If u r still game,
lets go thro' the drill just once more.
it is not, download the latest alsa packages(drivers, lib and utils) from
www.alsa-project.org (verify with google).
./configure <b>--with-isapnp=yes</b> --with-cards=cs4236
mailing lists with ur alsa driver version and ur gcc version that comes
with mandrake 9.</i>
some music and cause probs. ) and give command
<b>modprobe
snd-cs4236</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
. then <b>lsmod</b> should show u the sound modules inserted into kernel.&nbsp;
If there are no sound modules inserted and the modprobe returns with insmod
errors, <b>one possiblity could be that u need to recompile ur kernel with
modular support for sound</b>
to set ur volume and other settings ( i use aumix)
).&nbsp; Lets hope that what u hear will make u smile&nbsp; :-)
have not helped me
) but no
and
but these drivers do not appear to be
ALSA

--------------D107DB9FD3A09CB24E468566--

--------------2565BCFEAE06E98EFF8EDA9A

#ALSA PORTION
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0666 snd_device_gid=0 snd_device_uid=0
alias sound snd-card-0
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-cs4236 snd_index=0 snd_id=Card1 snd_isapnp=0 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=0x330 snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_sb_port=0x220 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=0

#OSS PORTION
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss