[ltp] Thinkpad 770X vs. Red Hat 8.0 - Installation notes.

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:27:54 -0500

I recently acquired a Thinkpad 770X (to add to my growing stable of old
Thinkpads: ) and upgraded it from Redhat 7.3 to Redhat 8.0.  I backed up
my info and did a fresh install, since I wanted to start clean.  Here are
a few notes that might be of use.

DISK:
You need a DOS partition on your disk for hibernation to work.  This is no
different from any other installation.

MEMORY:
I've not had to add and kernel parameters for the system to work
with Red Hat 8.0.  All 320 or so megabytes are recognized.

SOUND:
Red Hat 8.0 detects the sound card [ Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11 [CrystalClear
SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 1) ] and promptly installs no drivers
at all.  There are two ways to get this card working in Red Hat Linux 8.0.

(1) If you're a fan of mono 8-bit audio, use Soundblaster emulation (SB
module).  This is of course less than optimal.

(2) If you like stereo, use the cs4232 module.  You should install
"sndconfig" and run "sndconfig --noprobe".  The noprobe argument is
important, else sndconfig will simply lie and tell you that your card is
unsupported.  Manually select the cs4232 driver and use io=0x530 irq=5
dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5.  These might be different on your card
- in particular, you might need to flip-flop the DMA settings.  Running
PS2.EXE from your DOS partition might also be helpful.

VIDEO:
Red Hat 8.0 detects and configures the Trident Microsystems Cyber 9397DVD,
and leaves you with a working X setup.  So, no troubles here.

... unless you want to play a DVD.  Red Hat 8.0's Trident driver module
has broken xvideo support. making it darn near impossible to play a DVD
properly.  To unbreak it, install trident_drv.o from Red Hat 7.3 as
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/trident_drv.o .  Once you do that, DVD
playing works as advertised.  I've not noted any ill effects from this so
far.  Antialiasing, etc. still works as it is supposed to.

MWAVE MODEM:
Get mwavem-1.0.4.tar.gz from IBM.  Red Hat 8.0 already comes with the
kernel module built for you, so all you have to do to install the mwave
driver is ./configure; make; make install.  Oh, and copy the mwaved
script to your/etc/init.d directory.

APM
You need to edit /etc/sysconfig/apmd so that the mwave driver and sound
modules are reloaded on resume.  Sound *may* work after a resume without
being reloaded, but the mwave is definitely hosed by a hibernation.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/