[ltp] Has my battery failed?

Norman Levin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:00:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Willoughby" <tonyw@pobox.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ltp] Has my battery failed?

| I'm really surprised that it would fail so suddenly.

Sometimes the plates in a battery will start to 'curl' with age.  When one flexes
enough to touch another plate, you have a cell that is shorted and the voltage drops to
what the other cells can handle - if you are lucky.

You can take the battery out, put a face cloth on a table (well padded) and give the
battery a healthy flat slam on the table.  On occassions, that may move some plates and
give you a little more life - but it does sound like a replacement is due.