[ltp] laptop as firewall

Richard Griffith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 22:18:01 -0400

Jim Redmond wrote:

> > Even better, use a distro designed for the task, and don't use a hard
> > drive at all. For example LEAF or LRP: http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/
> LRP doesn't natively support PCMCIA.  However, if you've got space on
> the LRP boot disk, check out
> ftp://monsoon.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/Linux/pcmcia.lrp - a dedicated hack
> added PCMCIA support to his LRP disk, and crammed it into 255KB.  I
> haven't tried it myself, though.

You might also check the EigerStein pcmcia support at
http://www.casano.com/lrp/ You really have to dig to find some things,
as some of the principal sites have folded. You might try
http://leaf-project.org/devel/thc/ for more info.

LRP is probably not for the faint of heart, but the results are usually
worth the effort. The point to remember with LRP and derivatives is that
there is no one size fits all version, you need to take the framework
and build what you need. For example, you won't need a dozen pcmcia
support modules if you will only be using the same two nic's in a
firewall. You can build up a system in ram, eliminate what isn't needed,
and save the results back to floppy.

That said, I do have to admit, I have not used pcmcia support with lrp.
I have used it for some even more esoteric setups, so I can't see any
reason it shouldn't work. This has tweaked my interest, so I might play
with this more if I get a chance.

-Richard