[ltp] Asking help-- to install Linux(Redhat 7.3) on Thinkpad T30-2366-92J

Seth Kulick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:05:34 -0400

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:30:02PM +0200, Marcus Horstmann wrote:

> After install, I did not get the F11-Key on Boot, but there is a
> bootable second partition available, which I labeled the recovery
> partition.

yeah, I was wondering about that as another possibility. That would be
nice and easy - just let GRUB take care of the possibility of booting
up the recovery partition.

Do  you still get the F1 and F12 keys on boot, even if you don't get the
F11 anymore?  The "Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility" seems crucial to be
able to enter the BIOS  setup program, unless there's another way to do it.
I don't want to lose the ability to get into that, if I start fooling
around with the MBR.  Still having the "Press F12 to choose temporary
boot device" would also be nice.

> I did not dare to boot into it, because I do not want to recover ;-)

I don't think it'll do the recovery immediately, but rather give you a
list of options, such as making recovery repair disks.  But I agree,
why risk it?

> P.S.: My biggest Problem to install Linux on my A31p with shipped XP was
>     that the whole HD (80Gig) was partitioned in one large C:-Part.
>
> I resized this Partion using Partition Magic for it (bought it just for
> that) added some partitions and installed Linux.

yep, I'm about to do the same for the 40GB drive on my T30.

Seth