[ltp] External USB space saver keyboard with linux?

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
8 Oct 2002 10:35:28 -0500

+---------- On Oct 8, Boyan said:
> trying to integrate the external USB space saver keyboard with Hub (for
> IntelliStation) in the tp 600x running linux (suse 8.0). Have no idea
> how to do this, and X-configurator SAX does not recognise the keyboard
> (88-keys).

I have that keyboard and use it with my A30p under Linux.

Use a program like lsusb or usbview to make sure that both a keyboard
device and a mouse device appear on the bus.

Make sure you have the kernel drivers loaded.  For the keyboard, I
believe the drivers are usbcore, usb-uhci, input, and keybdev.  For the
mouse (trackpoint), I believe the drivers are usbcore, usb-uhci, input,
hid, and mousedev.

X doesn't need to be told about the keyboard. The USB keyboard driver
passes events to the standard PC keyboard driver, so applications
(including X) see USB keyboard events as regular keyboard events.

X does need to be told about the mouse. As I recall, you said in another
message that you have already modified your XF86Config to refer to this
file.