[ltp] Dim Monitor

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:57:11 +0100 (BST)

I've found this. It's especially noticeable if you have 2 thinkpads side
by side, one old, one new. Even before you see the screen dim, you can
clearly see it going yellow. This is just an effect of age, and seems to
occur after 1-2 years (depending on usage).
I don't know why you are finding the brightness cotrol no longer works.
There are 2 ways to preserve a cold cathode display:

1)Set the screensaver to put the screen in power save mode when not in
use. This reduces the operating time of the backlight, and so slows
deterioration.

2)Set the screensaver never to blank the screen, thus reducing the number
of restarts of the cold cathode lamp, and reducing wear and deterioration.

Of course, these 2 are conflicting, and I don't know which of the effects
is the greater. Someone ???

In theory, you can replace the tubes - is this possible in practice, and
at a sane cost?

Richard