Fw: [ltp] Modem on A22p with RH 8.0

JC WOODWARD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:47:45 -0400

James Mckenzie: >I'm looking for binaries for the Red Hat 8.0 for the Lucent
WinModem and

It's easier, believe it or not, to compile from scratch.  I wasted a great
deal of time trying to do it "the easy way" with precompiled binaries.  The
problem is that if the Linux kernel installed on the machine which produced
the binaries wasn't configured exactly the same as the kernel on your
machine you get a "flavor mismatch" (see detailed documentation in the
source kit).  I suspect that the Red Hat laptop install is different from
what the rest of the world considers standard default.

After resigning myself to going the compile-from-source route I discovered
that the make file is completely automated, requiring little more from you
than to press ENTER when the script says "Press Enter".  It just plain
worked first try right out of the box.

See my recent posting to this list at:

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2002-October/008946.html

which documents my steps, keystroke by keystroke,  to install the LTModem
driver on my TP600 under RH 7.3.  It supplies web links, the file names to
download, all you need to know.

The only thing I forgot to include is the name of the kernel source RPM
which is required for the compile. Insert the following first step to the
procedure:

    install the Linux kernel source files.
     (On RH 7.3 the RPM package name is "kernel-source-2.4.18-3"
      found in GnoRPM under package group Development/System)

Regards,

JC Woodward