[ltp] eth0 (pcmcia) not found under debian sarge kernel recompile

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:43:33 +0200

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:38:01 -0400, peter nol wrote:
> *** List MOVED use linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org for future postings ***Hi.
> I've recompiled my debian sarge kernel for my thinkad 600 to enable mwave
> support (didn't get it to work yet, another story)
> Now my eth0 pcmcia card is not recognized.
> I get the error
>
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>  SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>  eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>
> I have the cardctl utilities installed and edited the pcmcia config files in
> the card gets identified successfully now and worked ok before the recompile.
> i get full product info when i enter "cardctl ident 1"
> I get the beeps when i insert the card in and out (supposedly the pcmcia is
> working swell)
> I didn't change any config files.
>
> i've read the PCMCIA howto and did everything accordingly.
> I've searched the web, haven't been successfull so far.

Does lsmod shows the modules corresponding to your card? What shows up
in the syslog? Do both kernels have different versions? You have to
recompile the PCMCIA modules in this case if you don't use kernel
PCMCIA support but use the drivers supplied by the pcmciacs package.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG