[ltp] Serial port on Thinkpad 600x (Mandrake 9.0) (solved)

Buchan Milne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:35:28 +0200

Buchan Milne wrote:
> *** List MOVED use linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org for future postings
> ***I recently acquired a 600X, and installed Mandrake 9.0 on it, dual
> booting with Windows 2000.
>
> Almost everything worked out the box (PCMCIA NIC, display, usb etc),
> except the modem (which was easily fixed with the ltmodem drivers) and
> the serial port.
>
> I have compiled the kernel modules and tpctl, but I am still having
> problems getting the serial port working (and I *need* the serial port
> to talk to the GPS I am hooking up to the grass GIS for my M.Sc(Eng)
> project).
>
> I have tried running various commands with ps2 (I think 'sera enable'
> and 'ser on' or something similar), and using tpctl, but can't seem to
> see how to get it to work.
>
> AFAICR, the serial port works as COM2,irq3,0x2f8 under windows.
>
> Here is some output from tpctl and setserial after a normal boot and no
> configuration/playing with tpctl/setserial:
>
> [root@bgmilne-thinkpad bgmilne]# setserial /dev/tts/0
> /dev/tts/0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> [root@bgmilne-thinkpad bgmilne]# setserial /dev/tts/1
> /dev/tts/1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>
> [root@bgmilne-thinkpad bgmilne]# tpctl --rs1 --rs2
> resource state:                        ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
>    serial port 1:                       0x2f8 IRQ3  enable on
>    serial port 2:                       0x3f8 IRQ4  enable
>
> What should I be aiming to do now? Move rs2 to 0x2f8/irq3 (after moving
> rs1 away?).
>
> Of course, 'works on windows' disclaimer applies.

A quick look in /proc/interrupts, showed that 3c589_cs was using IRQ3.
Uncommenting the line:
exclude irq 3
in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
And restarting pcmcia and network fixed it.

Thanks for all the replies anyway ...

Now to see if I can
1)Convice Mandrake to get the Mandrake tools to do this
2)Package the rest of the required software and get it into cooker/contrib

On that note, what is the status of the thinkpad kernel modules? Should
I be requesting the kernel maintainer to build them in the stock kernel?
Are they going to be submitted to lkml any time soon?

Regards,
Buchan