[ltp] Battery problem on TP600

j_f_clark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:40:08 -0400

I just picked up a battery for my 600x.  There are several on-line dealers
with prices under $150.  I got mine off of e-bay for $90.  Of course,
shipping is extra.  And picking something up from e-bay is always a gamble.

Joe Clark
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard DEBREIL" <bdebreil@teaser.fr>
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 3:02 PM
Subject: [ltp] Battery problem on TP600

*** List MOVED use linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org for future postings
***Hi there !

On my TP600, the battery seems to have given up. Not later than two days
ago, it still had about two and a half hours of autonomy... and then
since yesterday, autonomy is less than half an hour. Reload lasts less
than 15 minutes.

How shall I know for sure if the battery is dead, or if the problem lies
into the program that is supposed to monitor the battery charge and
discharge ?  What tests should I run ?   I am on RedHat 7.2. I also have
a small Windows 98 partition, but I am not familiar with MSWIN functions
on that Thinkpad.

If, by misluck, the battery proved dead, would anyone know of some tricks
so as to replace it at a lower cost ? With my older Thinkpad 300, I used
to purchased, every 18 months or so, individual Ni/MH cells that I
connected together and put into the original plastic box. That worked,
and the cost was a lot cheaper than that of IBM parts. With the TP 600, I
am not sure if Li-ion individual cells may be purchased and if it is easy
to connect them... I wouldn't know where to buy them, nor would I have an
idea of their prices. I called IBM, just to be told that I was to use no
other parts than IBM guenine parts, and the battery pack costs 300 Euros,
that is, 300 US$...

Thanks in advance for any advice,