[ltp] Re: can not open /dev/thinkpad

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:43:45 +0200

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:40:55 +0200 Thomas Hood wrote:

> You say that the 3.x drivers compiled under Linux
> 2.4.17 work but the very same drivers compiled under
> Linux 2.4.19 don't work.

Problem is solved!  It's a _devfs_ problem.

I have it installed and mounted under (*cough*) /mnt/devfs, to play
around a little. :]  And there the thinkpad device works as advertised.

Rob probably just has it unintentionally configured in his new kernel!?

Actually I had been warned by noflushd, which puts out a rather lengthy
error message about having configured but not mounted devfs.  Maybe we
should borrow that code as health check for the thinkpad device too?  Or
is there a clean way to check the path of a devfs device?  I would
volunteer for putting together a patch.

regards,
michael