[ltp] X22 - dual boot - BIOS problem ?

18 Oct 2002 09:53:54 +0200

I have a dual boot win2k and Debian woody.
I wanted to be able to hibernate also from within woody.
[ This is why I send this message to this list.]

So I used stndalhd.exe grabbed from http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4PESMK.html?lang=en_US&page=brand&brand=root&doctype=&subtype=Cat&up=unknownuser1004106089 ...

After having problems in getting this "IBM hibernation file
creation floppy" to find enough space in the FAT32 partition
(although there definitely was!), I finally created a
separate FAT16 partition <size 600MB> (with Partition Magic)
which is to be found in the initial sectors of the disk.
Running then the IBM utility properly created the file
save2dsk.bin, but not in the FAT16 partition, but funnily
in the FAT32, where it now found enough place.

Moreover, I have now two (different?) pagefile.sys lying
around ... one on each of the FAT partitions ...

(Problem 1)
==========

Anyway, everafter on startup the BIOS presents the usual
startup screen (with F1 and F12-messages displayed), but it
seems to be unable to _quickly_ do either of the following:

- show the boot menu of lilo residing in the mbr
- go to the BIOS setting when F1 is pressed
- finding out the boot device options when F12 is pressed

All of them take _at least 3 minutes_ while the X22 shows
heavy continuous activity on the hard disk.

I have the impression that the trouble only occurred
precisely after having run the IBM utility.
Could it have messed up the BIOS?
I have set it back to standard setting, but to no avail.
Would it be good to flash/update the BIOS?

I have also rewritten the mbr with lilo, but the BIOS delay
seems to occur before it tries to read the mbr.

Any help/advice?

(Problem 2)
==========

Rather an observation:
- recovery from standby (under linux) is immediate
- recovery from hibernation (under linux) also shows the
  3-4 minutes BIOS delay
How come?

(Problem 3) OT: win2k related, sorry

I also have problems now logging into Win2k.  Booting it
works (after the 3 minutes before getting to lilo's menu).
But logging in does not work: all valid users are properly
recognized, but then win2k goes immediately to "save the
personal settings" and back to the logon screen. :-(

Could this be because of Partition Magic ?
Could this be because of confusing the 2 pagefile.sys ?

Thanks for any help on my problems,
== Uwe ==