[ltp] Slow Linux

surferjeff@excite.com linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:12:24 -0400 (EDT)

I have a Thinkpad 600 (no E or X.)  I just installed Mandrake 8.1, and for some reason, it's running really slow, like not-really-usable slow.

Linux is famous for being fast.  I'm confused.

The bottleneck seems to be the hard drive, but this is just a wild guess based on me observing the little hard disk light.  Where as on MS Windows it bumps and grinds in what is effectively white noise, on Linux, the disk sounds like a clock ticking: it only reads or writes for a fraction of a second at a time.  I installed Linux as a loopback file, not on a separate partition.  Is this what's causing it to run so slow?  If so, how do I uninstall Linux and re-install it on a separate partition?

Also, now back in MS Windows, I can no longer put my computer into standby mode.

Finally, where do those nasty lm_sensors and i2c files live, so I can rm them straight away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Glen Rennie

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com