[ltp] Slow Linux

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:23:31 -0400

On Saturday 19 October 2002 08:12 pm, surferjeff@excite.com wrote:
> *** List MOVED use linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org for future postings
> ***

I've never done a loopback install, so I cannot say how much of a performance
hit there is, but its safe to say that it has SOME impact...

One thing to do is check /var/log/messages and /var/log/kernel/* for messages
relating to the hard drive.

I'd also have to know how much RAM there is in the machine and what you're
trying to run. Are you starting lots of services? Are you starting KDE or
Gnome? Some of these things can suck resources and if you have a machine with
limited RAM it can be pretty brutal.

The other question is SWAP...... If you ARE running low on RAM then you will
be swapping, which slows things down a lot, but maybe if swap has to go
through loopback then things are really getting killed right there. Ideally
you don't swap at all, but on smaller machines sometimes its just a way of
life.

My advice for limited resource machines is to run the ICE window manager.
Mandrake provides it as their main alternative to KDE/Gnome and it will save
you dozens of megabytes.

As an example I did an install on an old NEC VERSA 6000 that has 64 megs of
RAM. It works fine with ICE, as long as I run only run say Mozilla and 1 or 2
other apps at a time. I CAN run KDE on that machine, but with 1 konsole and 1
konqueror window open the thing has no free memory left, so its marginally
useable that way.

Also, I'd really recommend updating to MDK 9.0, its WAY WAY WAY better than
8.1, and fixes a lot of laptop related issues.