[ltp] Slow Linux

Michael W. Holdeman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:56:59 -0400

I'm running TP600, (replaced the 266 with a 300 processor), 294 memory. I=
 run=20
Gentoo Linux. kde3.0.4, etc, etc..... the system is VERY usable. Even KDE=
=2E=20
(on SuSE 7.3, kde was VERY slow, too heavy and I ran Icewm) I think the=20
customization of Gentoo helps considerably.
I'm even running Win4Lin inside of KDE 3, with win98SE and a very heavy=20
bloated database program and it is very quick. I'm pleased.
LowLatency and preemption in the kernel REALLY made a big difference when=
 I=20
got them done.

Mike

On Monday 21 October 2002 09:40 am, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> *** List MOVED use linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org for future posting=
> ***
>
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
>
> "surferjeff@excite.com" <surferjeff@excite.com> wrote:
> > I have a Thinkpad 600 (no E or X.)  I just installed Mandrake 8.1, an=
> > for some reason, it's running really slow, like not-really-usable slo=
w.

> I have a 600 (PII/266, no E or X).  I run Redhat 7.3 at the moment, but
> extreme slowmess shouldn't be a problem on Mandrake either.
>
> Simplest speed tip:  Spend $20 on some RAM.  If you don't have all the =
RAM
> you can stuff in the machine, get it.  With 224 megs of RAM, my system =
is
> nice to use.
>
> > I installed Linux as a loopback file,
> > not on a separate partition.  Is this what's causing it to run so slo=
w?

> That's probably part of the problem right there.  How much of a speed h=
it
> it causes I can't say, as I've never installed like that.  Best to give
> Linux its own partition(s) if you actually want to get work done on it.
>
> If it's anything like Slackware's old UMSDOS install, it's slooooow.
>
> My Thinkpad 600 has a small DOS partition for the hibernation file and
> PS2.EXE, and the rest is Linux.
>
> > If so, how do I uninstall Linux and re-install it on a separate
> > partition?
>
> You'll need to resize or nuke your DOS partition.  I'm partial to nukin=
> Windows with fdisk, but ... :)

--=20
=09Michael W. Holdeman