[ltp] Slow Linux - Now Fast, but no modem!

surferjeff@excite.com linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:14:40 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for all the advice about my slow system.  I did away with the loopback, created a proper linux partition, and it runs beautifully.  I think it would be actually worth it to remove the whole loopback thing as an installation option.  It must give a lot of first time users a bad impression.

However, my Thinkpad 600 has one of those dumb winmodems.  I downloaded the driver from IBM and it built and installed with no errors (make; make install).  However, I can't actually run the driver.  As per the instructions, I run the following script, and get the following oh-so-descriptive error:

[root@localhost mwavem]# ./mwaved start
Starting Mwave modem:
[root@localhost mwavem]#

Please help!  This is the only thing standing between me and a really useful system.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Glen Rennie

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com