[ltp] Slow Linux - Now Fast, but no modem!

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:53:37 -0400

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
"surferjeff@excite.com" <surferjeff@excite.com> wrote:

> Do I have to build the kernel just to get the modem working?  How do I
> build the kernel?  Wouldn't the driver itself have failed to build if it
> needed kernel modules?  Where do I run make?

You have to build the *module*, which usually means at least having the
kernel *source* installed (on Redhat 7.3, it's kernel-source-2.4.18-3).

I don't think you actually have to build the whole kernel, but I could
be wrong on this.

Note that according to the mwave driver documentation:

#  Driver module is now NOT built by default. It is now necessary to
#  specify '--enable-mwavedd' with './configure' to build the driver

You need the driver module, if you haven't built it already.  If you
didn't run configure (in the mwave source directory) with "./configure
--enable-mwavedd" when you built the driver software, you didn't build the
driver module. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/