[ltp] Hard disk shutdown

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:11:44 -0400

Tino's suggestion is about the only one I can think of either. 256 mb RAM is
plenty of RAM in my book for most purposes. I would think unless you are
running a bunch of services that are memory-intensive you shouldn't be doing
much swapping, certainly not when the system is idle.

vmstat will give you a rundown on free memory (as will top), or any number of
X equivalents. Its common to see a small amount of swap being in use even
when no swapping is happening, but you should show SOME free physical memory.