[ltp] speedy Linux

Jim Redmond linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:20:20 -0500

brianweber4@attbi.com wrote:
> How does one make Linux speedy?

Good question.

*Turn off and/or remove anything you don't really need.  In Linux, you
can see everything that's running through the "ps -A" command, and most
distros with a package-management system (rpm or dpkg) have a way for
you to see what's installed.

*Where your needs allow it, use "lighter" versions of the same programs.
   On my 760XL I'm running Phoenix as my browser; it's smaller, lighter,
and less bloated than full-fledged Mozilla.

*Add more RAM.  RAM is faster than virtual memory in any OS.

*Overclock!  Or, rather, make sure the heat produced by your system is
dissipated quickly.

*Roll your own kernel, keeping only the features you really need.  If
you're really gung-ho about speed, you may want to consider applying the
low-latency kernel patch (a good Google should find it for you).

Just out of curiosity, what's your distro?

--
Jim Redmond
jim@scrubnugget.com