[ltp] Region Free DVD works in Mandrake 9.0!

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:20:00 +0000

Today, I was also able to get Region Free DVD working on
an IBM Thinkpad 380Z usitg OGLE DVD Player in Mandrake
linux 9.0!

OGLE download:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

This Thinkpad does not ever come with a DVD drive from
IBM, but it accepted a Toshiba 4X SD-C-2202.

IBM does not list a 380Z DVD drive option, but it works
none the less.

I also upgrade the Pentium II 233 processor to a PII 333.
Processor. This upgrade is also not an option with the
Thinkpad 380Z per IBM, but also works fine!

I was able to flash the SD-C-2202 DVD drive with Region
Free firmware and with OGLE can watch all DVDs from all
world regions!!

Region Free Firmware:

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/dl_firmware.php?category=2&manufactor=31

I used firmware version 1021. !!BE SURE TO CHECK THE
STICKER ON YOUR DVD DRIVE  OR WINDOWS DEVICE MANAGER FOR
THE CORRECT ROM VERSION!!

The CS4237B sound chip works well also using the setup below:

1) Disable Plug N Play function in Thinkpad BIOS by
> shutting off quick boot option.
>
> 2) Run sndconfig in superuser terminal using these
CS423X values:

> io=530, irq= 5, dma=1, dma2=3, mpu io=330, mpu irq=9.
>
> 3) Log on as root, in file:/etc/pcmcia/config.opts edit
as a comment by placing # in frount of line:

> include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
>
> 4) In KDE control panel, set sound server to start at
> boot, using autodetect settings.
>
> 5) use Kmix to set & save volumes.

So there you have it, sound & Region Free DVD in Mandrake
9.0 on an IBM PII 333 Thinkpad 380Z!!