[ltp] Linux not stable

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:21:08 +0100

On Sunday 27 October 2002 05:40, surferjeff@excite.com wrote:
> Also, yesterday, I was browsing the internet (actually, MSDN) and the
> system just totally hosed itself.  It started reading and writing to the
> hard disk like crazy, and the whole system slowed to a crawl.  I did a
> "shutdown now", and it never really made it into the shutdown process.

It seems that the "cron" daemon started an "updatedb" process which
searches the complete harddrive to update the "locate" database which
contains information about the location of files.

If you have never heard of "locate" or have never used it, you can easily
and safely disable the "updatedb" cron job, e.g. via the kcron frontend or
the shell command "crontab -e".

Ciao, Matthias