[ltp] 600E and RedHat 8 - mwave modem (almost there)

Andrey Yurovsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:55:55 -0800

Hello.  Last night I downloaded and compiled the 1.0.4 mwave driver on my
fresh RedHat 8.0 install.  I then copied the mwaved script into
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ and if I tell the script to "start" it says OK for loading
the module, driver, etc.  It says that it has set the serial port to
/dev/ttyS1

My question is... now what?

I've always used the RedHat PPP dialer, and in 8.0 it looks like I would
open "Network Device Control" and click "activate" for my PPP connection.
When I try to make a new PPP connection using their "connection wizard"
program I am only allowed to choose the "Modem0" port.  So I made a symbolic
link /dev/Modem0 to /dev/ttyS1 and set up my PPP account (with the mwaved
already started).

I then tried to dial but it failed to activate the device.  What was I
supposed to do to make this work?  Also, how do I set mwaved to start and
stop automatically (I am going to guess, at runlevel 3 and 5&6
respectively?).  I tried running both the shell and GUI versions of the
enable/disable daemon tools and mwaved is not listed in either.

Thanks,

	-Andrey