[ltp] Linux not stable

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:32:57 -0400

Its true that 8.1 was a pretty useable version of MDK, and I still run it=
 on=20
some of my web servers, and I ran it on an A20p for a year, but if you=20
upgraded to 9.0 you would be MUCH happier! If you have a decent broadband=
=20
connection just download them. The trick is to use the mirrors in the=20
Netherlands, they are WAY faster than any of the crappy US mirrors. The o=
ther=20
trick is to download the non-iso stuff (ie, the actual archive that is st=
ored=20
on the ftp server, usually the directory tree from like=20
/pub/linux/Mandrake/i386/9.0/ (but of course each mirror is slightly=20
different). I just replicate that entire tree to an FTP server at home, t=
hen=20
do an FTP based install (you just have to dd the network.img boot floppy=20
image to a floppy disk). Of course this all requires having 2 machines, b=
ut=20
when you're done its nice because you don't have to find the missing CDRO=
M a=20
week later to install the RPM you forgot when you did the install...

Or you can always buy the disks from Cheaper Bytes for 3 or 4 bucks...

Your problems could be from several causes:

1) the mem=3D problem, bios stomps on kernel memory unless you boot with =
mem=3D=20
something. I don't know the details since it doesn't seem to be a problem=
=20
with my system.

2) Is your bios up to date? Flash the bios on your machine up to the late=
st=20
patch level. Many problems go away once you do that.

3) Maybe your kernel is not really correctly set up for your system. I se=
em to=20
remember having to tinker with 8.1, and in fact I think I ditched Mandrak=
e's=20
kernel and used a stock 2.4.19 or something around that. You can easily=20
install stock kernels and it should not cause a problem. Pay special=20
attention to certain options in the kernel that are designed to allow you=
 to=20
fix APM and shutdown problems, esp with IBM bios.

4) Hardware bad? Even if Windoze runs on a system it can sometimes be tha=
t=20
some hardware in the machine is marginal and peculiarities of the OS can =
lead=20
to one OS running and another one being unstable on a given platform.