[ltp] infrared ports

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:41:28 +0100

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 17:02:27 +0000, dan moylan wrote:

> tino keitel writes:
>
> > You can enable and disable those devices using setpnp
> > from the pcmcia-cs package.
>
> looking through the three rh-7.3 distribution disks, i
> see no pcmcia-cs package per se.  the only thing close
> that i find is:
>
> 	kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-18

The original home page is at <http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net>. The
version information of your kernel-pcmcia-cs package looks like Red Hat
is using this package to enable PCMCIA support. The has to be another
rpm package that provides the cardmanager (/sbin/cardmgr).

[...]

> none the less, setpnp is not found.

It will be built if you compile the pcmcia-cs source with PNP support
(You will be asked about this during the build process)

> > This requires a kernel driver for the PNP-BIOS. You
> > get this by using a pcmcia-socket driver with PNP
> > support (from the pcmcia-cs package) or by using a
> > recent ac-kernel.
>
> boot/config-2.4.18-3 contains the following line:
>
> 	# CONFIG_PNPBIOS is not set
>
> looks as though it should be, but is it ok just to
> modify that file, like:
>
> 	CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y
>
> i'm diffident about modifying things i don't understand.

If you use kernel pcmcia support or no pcmcia at all, you need this
option. If you use the pcmcia drivers supplied by a PNP enabled
pcmcia-cs package, you don't need it. If you change this to "y"
(preferably using make menuconfig or make xconfig) and build and
install this new kernel, you should be able to use the setpnp/lspnp
tools. However, I don't know if Red Hat provides them. You can at least
check if you kernel is already PNP-BIOS aware by looking for a "pnp"
entry in /proc/bus.

[...]

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG