[ltp] PCMCIA problem

unlisted linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
28 Oct 2002 07:12:34 -0600

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 14:19, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 10:28, benjamin wrote:
> > Then I upgraded to woody and took a 2.4.18 kernel (the one provided with the
> > distribution, I did not recompile it), but I can't load the i82365 module
> > anymore...
>
> I found that too.

$ /sbin/lsmod | grep i82365
i82365                 22448   2
pcmcia_core            42976   0 [cb_enabler ds i82365]

$ uname -a
Linux leviticus 2.4.19-686 #1 Thu Aug 8 21:30:09 EST 2002 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux

$ COLUMNS=160 dpkg -l kernel-image-2.4.19-686
<snip dpkg output header>
hi  kernel-image-2.4.19-686
2.4.19-1                           Linux kernel image 2.4.19 on
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV.

btw, this is all on a 770x.

though i rebuilt the pcmcia-cs package so that i could have lspnp &
setpnp.  and then built pcmcia-modules against my debian-stock
kernel-image-2.4.19-686 (2.4.19-1), to enable pnp.  honestly, i'm not
even sure that pnp works, but that's the same process i used for 2.2.20,
which i was using a few weeks ago (before i had to upgrade to 2.4.19 to
use a hp usb cd-rw with my thinkpad).  well, lspnp works (i include the
output in a weekly backup so that if hardware ever stops working i have
some historical settings to see what possible changed), but i haven't
needed to use setpnp.

i use pcmcia-cs instead of yenta-socket, because:
1. it's what i've always used
2. it can provide pnp in a stock kernel
3. it's what linux-wlan-ng builds against (to enable my prism-based wlan
card)

i'm using a xircom realport ethernet card, and i think i remember in the
past using a xircom-specific module, but oddly now i just use the
(generic?) tulip_cb.  never noticed it before until just now when i
started looking into it for this email reply.  but, then again, i'm
using pcmcia-cs, not yenta-socket (though i *think* the yenta-socket
were forked/branched from the pcmcia-cs sources).

$ zgrep -i xircom /var/log/messages*
/var/log/messages:Oct 26 07:15:13 leviticus kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc
7/16/99 becker@scyld.com (modified by danilo@cs.uni-magdeburg.de for
XIRCOM CBE, fixed by Doug Ledford)
/var/log/messages:Oct 26 07:15:13 leviticus kernel: eth0: Xircom Cardbus
Adapter (DEC 21143 compatible mode) rev 3 at 0x400, 00:10:A4:F5:C6:46,
IRQ 11.

> > and when I try a ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.3, I get a SIGIO error.
>
> I don't.

i don't either.

> Check to make sure that you don't have any resource conflicts.
> See the "Resources" section of my page:
>    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm
> for help.

resource conflicts use to be what locked my laptop up HARD when
originally installing potato with the xircom nic inserted.  the problem
continued even after i installed potato, everytime i inserted the nic.
finally i learned it was a resource conflict (from the pcmcia-cs
faq/howto?), though can't remember where the conflict was now.

so, yeah, those resource conflicts can cause you problems.

> > I also tried to recompile a 2.4.19-ac4 kernel, but the system could not
> > load (pretending / was not ext2)
>
> I've never heard of that problem.  Maybe you should try
> stock 2.4.19.

i had a problem sorta like that (said it couldn't mount root partition)
trying to boot a
built-from-debian-stock-kernel-sources-into-a-kernel-package 2.4.19-686
kernel on my desktop.  (just turned on packet-writing to try to use the
aforementioned hp usb cd-rw on that computer.)  all partitions are ext3
except my root partition (though maybe it's ext3 but always gets mounted
as ext2; can't remember why now after converting those partitions on my
desktop many months ago).  anyways.

same kernel image and initrd image boot fine on my thinkpad.

> > I also tried to recompile a 2.4.18-ac4
> > to get pnpbios with no success for getting the i82365 to load...
>
> yenta_socket should work.  I don't think i82365 works in 2.4.

pnpbios?  i think i'm getting that to work with pcmcia-cs.  (like i said
above, works for lspnp, which is all i've needed to date.)

of course from above you'll see that i've got i82365 loading in 2.4.19,
but then again my setup is a bit customized.

sorry, don't have the time this morning to do any more research than
what i've got available right infront of me.  and not sure this even
helps except to say that i think it's possible (though we do not have
the same exact pcmcia card).

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.