[ltp] infrared ports

unlisted linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
28 Oct 2002 07:26:57 -0600

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 08:59, dan moylan wrote:

> robert hollis writes:
>
> > pcmcia package is separate from kernel (but parts of it are
> > being added).  check sourceforge.com for linux pcmcia package.
>
> ok.  got the pkg from sourceforge, and did the make, including
> "PnP BIOS resource checking".

i know that you said you couldn't find a pcmcia-cs package, but for a
cleaner, packaged solution you might want to see if you can find
whatever package provides pcmcia-cs (the two main programs pcmcia-cs
provides is cardmgr & cardctl, located under /sbin on my debian system)
and rebuild the srpm from which came the rpm that provides pcmcia-cs.
or just use checkinstall.  can't really help you with building srpms as
it's a few years since i ran red hat and needed to do such.

just a suggestion as i prefer packages over source installs for
something as large/major as pcmcia-cs.

> setpnp is now available, but
> what parameters should i use to enable com1, the serial port
> (ttyS0) and com2, the built-in modem (ttyS1)?  the man pages
> give as an example:
>
> 	 setpnp 0d io 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3
>
> that looks as though it should be com1, but i really don't know.
> is the node for com0 0c?  and should i use the -b (boot) option?

this i don't know.  knew it at one time to set-up my machine, but have
since forgotten.

> btw, lspnp produces:
>
> 	lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
>
> (and indeed there is no such file or directory) is that ok?  or
> will it change when i do setpnp properly?

you may/probably need to rebuild the kernel pcmcia-cs modules to include
pnp.  i believe building the main pcmcia-cs package w/ pnp just gives
you the setpnp and lspnp programs, but you need the pnp driver (which i
*think* is embedded in pcmcia_core.o) to be built.

you can reference my previous post on pcmcia-cs w/ pnp, though i don't
know how well my debian set-up translates to red hat.

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.