[ltp] DHCP- releasing/renewing IP addresses

Victor Wagner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:13:02 +0300

On 2002.10.28 at 11:06:56 -0500, Shane Grantham wrote:

> What command does one use to renew and release a DHCP address? I
>thought it might be ifconfig, but haven't found the correct format for
>it. I was thinking there might be a similiar command as in Windows like
>ipconfig/release.

ifconfig is Interface configuration. It does know something about IPX or
low-level ethernet protocols, but has nothing to do with DHCP.

You should dig around your dhcp client. Typically it is enough to
restart dhcp client, but it depends of which client do you use.

There are several of them.

For instance, Debian distribution includes three of them -
dhcpcd, dhclient and pump.

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88