[ltp] parport problems on 600E

G Brigley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:44:54 -0500 (EST)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm stumped.  I can't get my
parallel port to work, of all things.  I used PS2.exe to set the irq to 7
and io to 0x378.  It works under WinXP, and windows
reports that these
settings are being used.  Under Linux (both Debian 2.2 and Mandrake 8.2),
/proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts tell me that those settings are not
used by anything else.

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc irq=7 io=0x378
insmod lp

The modules are inserted without error, and are listed when I subsequently
run lsmod.  However, the resources never show up in /proc/interrupts or
/proc/ioports.

Also, when I try to print using lpr, the document gets queued and then
disappears as though it had printed, but nothing happens on the printer
(an HP deskjet).

What am I missing here?  I don't really know what else to do in terms of
troubleshooting.