[ltp] infrared ports

dan moylan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:16:11 UT

--_----------=_103591897151700

discouragement doesn't set in easily, but it's here.

i have downloaded thinkpad-3.7 and tpctl-3.7, unpacked, "made",
and instlled them and have tried using them to set up my serial
ports on my tp-600e.  btw, i see no reference in any of the man
pages to the infra red, which i am trying to disable in favor
of the normal serial port and built-in fax/modem. this puzzles
me.  i've run:

  tpctl -rs1=com1 -rs1=0x3f8 -rs1=irq4 -rs1=enable
  tpctl -rs2=com2 -rs2=0x2f8 -rs2=irq3 -rs2=enable

with the result:

  tpctl: serial port 1 has been set to COM1
  tpctl: serial port 1 has been enabled
  tpctl: serial port 1 interrupt has been set to IRQ4
  tpctl: serial port 1 base address has been set to 0x3f8
  resource state:               ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
         serial port 1:          0x3f8 IRQ4  enable (error)
  tpctl: serial port 2 has been set to COM2
  tpctl: serial port 2 has been enabled
  tpctl: serial port 2 interrupt has been set to IRQ3
  tpctl: serial port 2 base address has been set to 0x2f8
  resource state:               ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
         serial port 2:          0x2f8 IRQ3  enable

i don't know what causes the error wrt serial port 1.
serial port 1 is connected to an external modem, and
serial port 2 is (i believe) the internal modem.
neither appears to work.

what don't i understand?

tia.
dan