[ltp] parport problems on 600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
30 Oct 2002 13:06:39 +0100

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 17:44, G Brigley wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm stumped.  I can't get my
> parallel port to work, of all things.  I used PS2.exe to set the irq to 7
> and io to 0x378.  It works under WinXP, and windows
> reports that these
> settings are being used.  Under Linux (both Debian 2.2 and Mandrake 8.2),
> /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts tell me that those settings are not
> used by anything else.
>
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc irq=7 io=0x378
> insmod lp
>
> The modules are inserted without error, and are listed when I subsequently
> run lsmod.  However, the resources never show up in /proc/interrupts or
> /proc/ioports.

The parport driver only uses the resources while the
device is open.  Try checking /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports
while you are printing.

> Also, when I try to print using lpr, the document gets queued and then
> disappears as though it had printed, but nothing happens on the printer
> (an HP deskjet).

Are you sure that what you are printing is getting sent
to the parallel port?  (Check /etc/printcap or CUPS configuration).

Are you sure that you are printing something that the
DeskJet can print -- viz., a PCL file?

--
Thomas