[ltp] How?: Trackpoint USB keyboard in linux

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
30 Oct 2002 10:58:28 -0600

+---------- On Oct 30, Boyan said:
> Neither mouse, nor keyboard are working. I tried to configure anew the
> input devices with Sax but to no avail, whatever options I tried. I hope
> some of you may have used this thinkpad like keyboard and give me a hint
> how to run it.

You need to load these modules:

    usbcore
    usb-uhci
    input
    hid
    keybdev
    mousedev

The keyboard part will automatically work if you have the right modules
loaded. To make the mouse (trackpoint) work in X, you have to tell X to
use it. Try this:

<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/XFree86-Second-Mouse.html>

If you keep mousedev (and the modules it depends on) loaded all the
time, then /dev/input/mice will exist even when you don't have any USB
devices plugged in.  This means that X will be able to use the same
configuration regardless of whether you have a USB mouse attached.