[ltp] LM_sensors -- still threatening?

Vivek linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:20:59 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, pplf wrote:

> Marek Pawelec wrote:
> > I've just bought a tp 600X and would like to install Linux on it, either
> > RedHat 7.3 or Mandrake 8.2 (RH, preferably), but I've found this info on
> > lm_sensors and I'm bit worried.

[cut]

Whatever you do, do _not_ run lm_sensors unless you can find someone
who has already done so, on that model, with impunity. lm_sensors on
thinkpads with certain hardware will turn the thinkpad into an
unbootable brick (the lm guys are working on this, but apparently IBM
aren't talking). Uninstall lm_sensors, though, and you should be fine.

AIUI, lm_sensors is not run by default, but parts of KDE might do so
to feed their hardware monitoring displays.