[ltp] LM_sensors -- still threatening?

Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:29:31 -0700

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 11:47:50AM -0400, Paul Timmins wrote:

> Running the "sensors-probe" program is what kills the TP. Simply having
> the libraries installed with no config file shouldn't be a threat, if I
> recall correctly.

Clarification: it's "sensors-detect" (you were close ;').

Quick update: We got some samples of the Atmel AT24RF08 chip, and we
were able to reproduce the corruption!  In a nut-shell, this
particular chip has a broken I2C bus state-machine which can interpret
certain sequences of bus communications (including communications with
other unrelated chips) as being 'data write' commands which corrupt
the eeprom.

So far, we've only been able to corrupt the chip from the
'sensors-detect' script.  It seems to send the right commands in just
the right order to exploit this weakness.  Regular modules and use
(including with using the eeprom driver to drive it) seem to be safe
thus far, although we are still testing.

We are continuing to do testing and are writing a work around for
sensors-detect which avoids the corruption with this particular chip.

I'll keep you posted.

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil