[ltp] question about T30 compatibility

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:34:07 -0400

I've just set up Debian on my T30 (236652) - 1.8Ghz, 512mb, 40gb, ether,
802.11b, dvd/cd-rw, ultra-nav with the 2.4.19 kernel. This dual boots with
Windows 2000 Pro. As its Win2k the native filesystem is set to fat32 which
means its real easy to use fips to split the harddrive.

Video: It will do 1400x1050, but you need X4.2.0 which does come with
redhat 7.3, but not debian, you'll need to either build X or install the
.debs that are available. If you want dvd playback to work at its best you
should get the gatos ati drivers. At 1400x1050 it looks soooooo sweet. If
you can afford it you really, really should get it.

Sound: No trouble - i810 driver. I found the software volume controls a
little strange though. Seems the last 5% of the slider controls 95% of the
volume.

Ethernet: eepro100 driver, works perfectly

802.11b - orinoco_pci driver, again no trouble. (Its a Prism 2 chipset so
you can use the host_ap software to turn it into an access point)

Modem - No go, but the latest T23's also have an winmodem not supported by
linux.

USB: Works fine

Bluetooth: Haven't needed this so not played with it yet.

cd-rw: should work with ide-scsi, have got round to it yet (I've got a
pure scsi burner at home so haven't needed it yet ;)

It boots from the cd fine, but decide where you want to put grub/lilo. If
you put in on to mbr of the entire disk you'll lose the ibm recovery boot
option. This isn't a problem as you can set this up as a boot option from
grub ;)

Overall this is by far the best laptop I have used to date, a little
expensive maybe, but well worth the money.

Mike Phillips
Linux Token Ring Project
http://www.linxutr.net