[ltp] question about T30 compatibility

Seth Kulick linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:17:37 -0400

Many thanks from everybody for the very useful comments.  Two followup
questions:

> It boots from the cd fine, but decide where you want to put grub/lilo. If
> you put in on to mbr of the entire disk you'll lose the ibm recovery boot
> option. This isn't a problem as you can set this up as a boot option from
> grub ;)

okay, so I've got the machine with XP, I boot up Redhat 7.3 on the CD drive,
and somewhere during the install it gives me an option to have "the IBM
standard loader loading the WinXP bootstrap, and have that loading grub on
the linux partition", to quote another email.  It's that simple?   (as I
said, I'm no linux hacker!)

Also, the unit I'm getting comes with the CD-RW DVD combo drive. I was
just looking at the IBM page, and they're selling a
"ThinkPad CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo III Ultrabay 2000 Drive", saying that:
"The DVD player software now includes exciting viewing features to enhance your
DVD-watching experience. When it's time to get down to business, the CD-RW
function is ready with speed and reliability. The Combo III drive includes new,
easier-to-use CD recording software and is equipped with buffer underrun
prevention technology to virtually eliminate write errors on both CD-R and
CD-RW media".  Same for the "ThinkPad Enhanced 8X/4X/24X Max CD-RW
Ultrabay 2000 Drive"  (for only an extra $400 or $300, sheesh...)

Anyway, this isn't quite so linux specific, but I guess this implies that the
CD writing capability in the combo unit does not have the "buffer underrun
prevention technology" (I assume something like JustLink).  This is really
astonishing in such an expensive unit (although I don't know how common it
is on laptop CD units in general).  I was hoping to be able to use
the T30 (um, when not doing work, of course), to be able to copy and
burn music CDs.  For ripping, using cdparanoia (or exact audio copy if in
Windows), and for burning using cdrdao.  Anybody have any experience
with these programs with the T30?

thanks again!

Seth