[ltp] T21 /dev/ttyS0

Manolis Stamatogiannakis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:43:14 +0300 (EEST)

Hi, I have installed gentoo linux on a TP T21.
There is no /dev/ttyS0 though. I am using devfs.
How do I create the serial port device? Did anybody
gave similar problems with linux on his TP?

The serial driver is bult in the kernel (gentoo-2.4.19-r9).
Here is the part of the dmesg output:
.
.
.
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 100k freed
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI IS
APNP enabled
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
.
.
.

With the same kernel on my desktop after the "Serial driver ..." line
I get two lines that my serial ports are there:
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

The port works fine with windows, so there is no HW problem.

Thanks in advance,
Manolis