[ltp] T21 /dev/ttyS0

Manolis Stamatogiannakis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:16:38 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Tino Keitel wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 16:43:14 +0300, Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:
> > Hi, I have installed gentoo linux on a TP T21.
> > There is no /dev/ttyS0 though. I am using devfs.
>
> On Debian, there is a devfsd package. The devfsd is to ensure backward
> compatibility. With devfs, the device for the first serial port is
> called /dev/tts/0, the devfsd will create a link /dev/ttyS0 that points
> to /dev/tts/0. So, either tell your application that it should use
> /dev/tts/0 or install devfsd, or both. :-)
>
> > How do I create the serial port device? Did anybody
> > gave similar problems with linux on his TP?
>
> The devfsd will do it for you, maybe you should read the
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README file.
>
> > The serial driver is bult in the kernel (gentoo-2.4.19-r9).
> > Here is the part of the dmesg output:
>
> Where?

Good question. Here it is now:
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 100k freed
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI IS
APNP enabled
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39

With the same kernel on my desktop after the "Serial driver ..." line
I get two lines that my serial ports are there:
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

The port works fine with windows, so there is no HW problem.

On my original message I had 3 consecutive lines containing only a '.'
before the dmesg output. Some program must have treated the first of
these lines as 'end of message' and ignored the rest of my message.

Regards,
Manolis