[ltp] T30 on-disk recovery

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 05:14:01 +0100

Geetings,

This has been standard for IBM for about 2 years. What you have is a
recovery partition of about 1GB at the end of your disc. You may well
never want to use it, in which case, just delete that partition
(/dev/hda2 iirc). [If you ask IBM, they will send you a CDROM, should
you need it.]

Otherwise, if you are happy to lose the 1GB of disk space, just go ahead
and install linux anyway.

You can always boot the recovery partition using the linux bootloader
(grub/lilo) - just add it as an extra option.

I installed Mandrake twice on this A22p which has such an option. The
first time, I left the recovery partition alone. Then, later I decided I
wanted the disc space more than I was likely to use W98 much again, so I
  kept W98, but deleted the recovery partition.

In summary - this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds :-)

Best wishes

Richard