[ltp] DVD Movie on T30 w/o AC

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:45:07 -0400

>Although I read something recently that because (some?) new type of
>wireless had demonstratedly interfered with plane communications, many
>airlines were thinking of blanket-banning laptops, since most flight
>attendents wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even to make the
>right announcement.

Interesting. The original rule was because cheap radios / tv are very
sloppy on the bandwidth and can cause cross-interference. Modern wireless
devices are far, far better at staying within range. The instruments in a
plane that would be affected work in the uhf and vhf spectrum. The
frequencies are just above the fm radio range.
Modern avionics should not be affected by these at all.

During visual flight rules where these devices are allowed (you can still
see where you're going if everything fails), we've used cellhones and
handheld scanners and not affected the plane at all, even on the
comparatively cheap instruments used in general aviation planes (small
cessna's etc)

A lot of the rules implemented by the airlines are blanket rules not
specifically mandated by the regulations. (Although, the seat belts during
take off, landing, and taxi-ing are FAA regs, hence the keep belts on
until at the gate)

I doubt this will go through though, on the typical flights that are full
of business travellers, the laptop usage rate has got to be 10-20% of
passengers.

Mike