[ltp] Hibernation, dead hard drive reads

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:13:03 -0400

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:11:49 -0500
Zinx Verituse <zinx@epicsol.org> wrote:

[Disk writes and hibernation]

> So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions (even if
> they're "don't hibernate" :) )

For what it works, this works fine on a mostly similar Thinkpad running
Redhat 7.3.  That's kernel 2.4.18.  DMA is enabled.

I'm not using tpctl (no need for me), and am using Redhat's normal apmd
scripts/software for hibernation (apmd-3.0.2-10).

The only hibernation "problems" I've seen are:
* Need to reload mwave driver and cs4232 drivers on resume - handled by
apmd script.
* Resuming with a PCMCIA ethernet card in the slot doesn't work quite
right.  I need to wait until the system wakes up before sticking in the
card.

So instead of "Don't hibernate", maybe "Don't use Debian"? :)

> System info follows:
>
> Thinkpad 600E 2645-RP1
> Linux 2.4.19, DMA/PIIXn tuning enabled

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>