[ltp] Hibernation, dead hard drive reads

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:55:45 +0200

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 13:16:16 -0500, Zinx Verituse wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:13:03PM -0400, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:11:49 -0500
> > Zinx Verituse <zinx@epicsol.org> wrote:
> >
> > [Disk writes and hibernation]
> >
> > > So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions (even if
> > > they're "don't hibernate" :) )
> >
> > For what it works, this works fine on a mostly similar Thinkpad running
> > Redhat 7.3.  That's kernel 2.4.18.  DMA is enabled.
> >
> > I'm not using tpctl (no need for me), and am using Redhat's normal apmd
> > scripts/software for hibernation (apmd-3.0.2-10).
>
> Ah, this was the problem.  tpctl seems to use an odd way of putting
> the thinkpad in hibernation, which something doesn't like..  I was
> previously running a script to suspend/hibernate, which ran apmd_proxy
> manually to suspend pcmcia and other stuff, then tpctl to finish.
>
> I'm now running a little daemon which 'cardctl eject's my cards when i
> hit Fn+F8 (screen expand, all my modes are 1024x768), so I can use the
> actual suspend/hibernate buttons without physically removing the NIC :)
>
> all works well, thanks :)

How about this:

scorpion@thinkpad:/home/scorpion$ cat /usr/local/bin/hibernate
#!/bin/sh
export TERM=vt100

/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/cardctl suspend
/usr/bin/tpctl --hibernate

Now I can create a hotkey and a menu item in in my WindowMaker menu and
hibernate.

> > So instead of "Don't hibernate", maybe "Don't use Debian"? :)

I used the script above on Debian Slink (2.1) and Woody (3.0) on my
765L and 2 PCMCIA cards (ethernet and modem) without any problems.