[ltp] Re: laptop as firewall

30 Sep 2002 02:26:39 -0000

Michelle,
You'll find that putting the laptop into suspend will shut
down the pcmcia slot in most laptops. You can still setup
the laptop so that devices that are not needed are off while
the laptop is on. The screen is the most obviously unneeded
device. This should be off if the lid is closed. Make sure
you turn off the suspend when lid is shut option. How you
do this is dependant on the thinkpad config software you
use.

The battery life should only be affected if the laptop is
frequently swapping to it and using it as a power source.
For the most part, you should find that it will not cause
a significant problem.

HTH

David Atkinson

-----

I have an old tp 380 lying around and am hoping to put it to use as a
firewall/gateway. If I set it up and place the machine in suspend ...
will it still pass packets? Will there be a significant decrease in
the
battery life if I leave it installed as a backup power source?

Many thanks.

/SMichelle