[ltp] Newbie Mandrake 9.1 - T23

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Apr 1 13:27:03 CEST 2003

Sylvestre Meininger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Being REALLY tired of W2K, I've downloaded Mandrake 9.1.
> This is my very first foray into the Linux universe and I'm stuck...
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something here :
>
> The auto-configuration tool that Mandrake 9.1 uses on install fails to
> recognize the S3 SuperSavage IXC16 AGPx4 graphic chipset (my TP is a T-23,
> 2647-BJG, PIII-866, 1024x768). The tool defaults to "Savage4" but neither
> the test not X Windows work (X Windows starts but is unusable).
> I've tried several other S3 drivers but none got past the test (all same
> result : black screen with only the mouse cursor visible and working).

You are probably affected by this bug. Either install the libqt3 from
Texstar (http://pclinuxonline.com for a link), wait for an update, don't
use any qt apps, or change to XFree86-4.3.

> I guess I need to download a graphic chipset driver, right ?
> This brings up several questions :
> Where do I find it ?
> How do I install it ? Linux boots fine, but I can't "do" anything since X
> Windows is all garbled up and unusable.
> Can I install this driver from a W2K boot ? I guess not.
> Can I install this driver from the Mandrake install utility ? I guess not.

Boot into the console, at the lilo prompt, hit ESC and type:

linux 3

Then, log in as root, and run:

# XFdrake --expert --noauto

You should now be able to select XFree86-4.3 (I don't know if your card
is supported?). Don't try and test it, just ensure the settings are
appropriate, exit, and then try:

# startx

If it works, reboot.

> But there MUST be some way to install it. Should I boot into Linux but
> without X Windows (ie : command line. But how do I do that ?).
> And if I manage to do that, how do I take the driver from my Windows
> partition and put it in my Linux partition ? (my DSL modem only works in
> Windows and the winmodem isn't supported).
> And where do I put the driver files to make them work ?

Which winmodem?

Buchan

- --