[ltp] Lower screen resolution possible?

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at innominate.com
Tue Apr 1 16:18:29 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 15:08:03 +0100, Vivek wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Jan Frey wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Is there a way to specify a different resolution for TFT and external CRT?
> > Can I at least tell XFree86 to use 1024x768 _virtual size_ if in 1024x768
> > mode?

man XF86Config-4, search for "Virtual". Other Method: drop the
1600x1200 out of out Modes-Line.

> Xfree 4.3.0 contains xrandr which can resize/reflect/rotate the root
> window: You could use that. If upgrading to 4.3.0 is not an option,
> then there's the rather unsatisfying option of having 2 different
> config files and restarting X with the appropriate one.
>
> I don't know whether the A[23]0 can send different signals to the LCD
> and CRT: afaik the CRT output is 'just' a duplicate of the LCD signal
> implemented in hardware, and not a genuine multi-display thing, bicbw.

With my A30 I was able to use Xinerama with a CRT connected to the VGA
out, but only with both screens at the same resulution. However, I
could tell X to use a lower resolution than the one on the LCD,
resulting in full screen display on the CRT and black borders on the
LCD.

Regards,
Tino

tino.keitel at innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
software engineer                                   networking people
tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/