[ltp] Re: Linux Mandrake 9.1

Tod Harter tharter at rhombus.net
Tue Apr 1 19:45:31 CEST 2003

On Monday 31 March 2003 03:27 pm, Ross Patterson wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2003 02:04 pm, Tod Harter wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 March 2003 05:50 pm, Ross Patterson wrote:
> > In either case you set up your
> > host machine's network to do ip masq (NAT) between 'eth0' and 'vmnet1'
> > (or 0 or 8 or whichever, it varies depending on exactly how you set up
> > VMWare I guess).
>
> You shouldn't have to set anything up specially for the VMware NAT network
> - VMware sets everything up when you install it (at least, it does on Red
> Hat). You'll find it actually runs a DHCP server on the virtual LAN, and
> has a port-forwarding/etc. configuration in /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat.

Odd, I've never had it set up NAT for me automatically (at least so that it
worked in MDK, but my experience with 4.x is limited, so maybe its something
I missed. Honestly I never was too concerned, NAT is pretty easy to set up!
Overall BTW 4.0 is very nice. Still a few bugs, but it works good when it
works, it even converted my 2.4 win2k disk without any real problems, and the
checkpointing features are now much easier to use! Well worth the $299 price
tag if you need it.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain