[ltp] RedHat 9 running on an IBM Thinkpad X23

covault at hippolyta.phys.cwru.edu covault at hippolyta.phys.cwru.edu
Wed Apr 2 22:40:35 CEST 2003

Well as of a few hours ago I've got RedHat 9 running on my Thinkpad
X23.  By far the hardest part was waiting for the painfully long
downloads of three ISOs from RedHat Network.  Installation was very
smooth -- took about 2 hours for everything and now I have the same
functionality as I achieved under RH 7.3 with only about half an hour
of messing around with the configuration.  Ethernet works out of the
box. So did sound. Both Gnome and KDE are looking fine. Network time
service seem to work okay. This is all pretty similar to the layout
for RH 8.0 I think. Actually I was sort of waiting for RH 8.1 when RH
9 came out.  It looks like it's really the same thing. No major change
that I can see.

Minor hiccups: the baseline X11 configuration did not get the
resolution of the screen correct.  This was easily fixed by running
the Display tool from one of the System menus.  The wireless device
appears to be supported but it is broken out of the box with an
indication that the device "seems to missing".  Hmm.  IrDA config tool
does not work with my Palm IIIxe.  Also the boot takes longer than it
used to under 7.3.  All of these seem like minor points to tackle
later.

Not too bad....

-Corbin Covault

Corbin E. Covault, Department of Physics, Rockefeller Physics Building
Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Clevland OH 44106
Phone: (216)-368-4006  Secy: Lori Rotar, 216-368-4257  Lab: 216-368-3632
Research: Experimental Physics -- Ground-based High Energy Astrophysics
email: cec8 at po.cwru.edu    WWW: http://hep.uchicago.edu/~covault