[ltp] RedHat 9 running on an IBM Thinkpad X23

covault at hippolyta.phys.cwru.edu covault at hippolyta.phys.cwru.edu
Thu Apr 3 01:19:28 CEST 2003

In your message dated: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:00:44 EST you said:

 > What do they look like? Gnome and KDE or the Bluecurve?

Basically both Gnome and KDE come up as Bluecurve. In my opinion this
is not so bad, and it is easy enough to change the preferences to
something else if one wants.

As far as I can tell just looking at the LCD screen on my RH 9 laptop
and comparing it to some desktops that are running RH 8.0 I cannot see
any difference at all in the desktops.  Like I said, if there is
something major that is new here I am not sure what it is.  I guess the
fonts are a little cleaner and more consistently used.

RH has a blurb out now:

 http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/press/2003/press_rhl9/

This says pretty much what I said. If you are running RH 8.0 right now
I doubt that you would have a good reason to rush to install RH 9.  A
few new features and a some rough edges are smoothed but otherwise no
major changes.

Really this release is just Redhat 8.1 -- changing the version number
to from 8.0 to 9 was a bit misleading I think.

Having said this, for me, RH 9 a nice kick up from RH 7.3 where I have
been sitting for about a year....so I am quite satisfied so far.

-Corbin

Corbin E. Covault, Department of Physics, Rockefeller Physics Building 207
Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland OH 44106
Phone: (216)-368-4006   Secy:  Lori Rotar: (216)-368-4257
Fax:   (216)-368-4671   Home:  (216)-707-1618     Cell: (216)-496-2077
Lab:   (216)-368-3632   Email: cec8 at po.cwru.edu   Web: http://hea.cwru.edu
Research: Experimental Physics -- Ground-based High Energy Astrophysics