Red Hat 9 on a Thinkpad 770? (Re: [ltp] getting RH 9)

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 3 21:06:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:46:45 -0500 (EST)
<dag-ltp at emailias.com> wrote:

> I got mine from BitTorrent:  http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent
>
> BitTorrent requires python version 2.  On my RH 7.3 box, 1.5 was the
> default.  Switching the system to python 2 broke up2date, so I changed
> the BitTorrent python scripts to use python2.2.

The big question:  Is it worth the hassle to get it now, or should we just
wait a week when every mirror on $DEITY's green earth will have it?

My big quesrion is simply this:

Does the xv extension work properly on Trident Cyber 9397DVD cards such
as those found in Thinkpad 770X/Zs? The one in Red Hat 8.0 was broken -
which made DVD playback sloooow until I "downgraded" to the trident driver
from Red Hat 7.3, which did work.

Anyone tried RH9 on a Thinkpad 770X/Z and tried DVD playback?

If no one speaks up, I'll probably bite the bullet and grab RH9 later next
week and install it on my 770X, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to fight
the machine to get DVD playback working ... :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!